the diary of Randy W.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Werchter rapport 2004

After constructing my tent and getting mental ready to see over 25 bands in 4 days time. I went down the long road and entered the festival area.

I saw Micheal Franti getting his groove back on. But I’ve already seen him twice I went down to the Bees.


THE BEES
When they entered, I noticed their high Badly Drawn Boy-syndrome. I feared melancholy, but soon I was eased with subtle sounds from the sixties. They changed more from instruments than you change of underpants. And I know that you dear readers change your underpants on a regular base, just because of personal hygiene. They never surprised the audience but they succeed in what they were asked to do warm us up. They were a very warm and friendly band. The only thing they were missing was a big family hug.


THE RAPTURE
Randy Warhol made his way to the front row and while P!nk or Sean Paul was playing your favourite rockjournalist was telling himself. Owk ease down you know they rock but take it easy.
Luke Jenner made a good entrance, he asked the audience if they want to enter the party the started on the busssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. (I may be wrong about the amount of S but I do recall it were a lot of them. I took them three songs to rock the show. And it was too late I was getting funky in places you need to be funky meaning EVERYWHERE. I quickly got the attention the bass player with my funky dance moves. (For those who want to know who they are you could see them on TMF.) “Killing” broke the house down: “one two three four kick that fucker at the door.” And they ended their turbulent set with “House of Jealous Lovers”. Great party, great show and for the second time in his life Luke Jenner couldn’t control himself and came back to the fans. And Randy Warhol got hugged for the 2nd time in his life. Déjà vu: Pukkelpop.


I got hungry so went to get some fries. I had to watch Admiral Freebee from a far distance.

THE CURE
When they arrived on stage the 80’s were back in Werchter, along side came a very wrong haircuts. But just after the first everybody became silent. And they went right for the heart. Taking no prisoners, just aiming for glory. And with hits like Fascination Street that isn’t a hard thing to do. Revelation of the day.


BASEMENT JAXX
Headlining on friday were not interesting and made music like you brush your teeth. First you think it is useful but after a few minutes you get bored. Very Bored. The party stopped. Even the great Africans singers couldn’t get near the normal Basement Jaxx Party-Level. May be they did the show too much, may be Randy Warhol wasn’t in a Basement Jaxx mood. Who can tell?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home